Thursday, July 9, 2009

The night before/ Hospital Bag

Usually the night before major surgery, you are instructed to not eat or drink anything after a certain time; for me it is 11pm.  Not even a breath mint or a sip of water!  Then, you have to shower with antibacterial cleanser like Hibiclens, wear freshly washed pajamas, and sleep on freshly washed linens.  Then again in the morning, the same routine, paying special attention to the hip area.  I have to be at the hospital at 5:30am for a 7:20am procedure. 
For me, being overly prepared and organized keeps my mind off the scary part of having surgery, and focusing on the getting better part. I wash, package and label everything; it helps others assist you better also.  Here is a list of all the things I packed into my hospital bag:
  • small pillow
  • glasses
  • sturdy slip on shoes
  • favorite lotion
  • 1 tshirt dress/ pullover
  • 1 long cotton dress
  • 1 cotton bra tank top
  • 2 pair of large boyshort panties ( for the ride home)
  • 1 Dad's t-shirt for comfort
  • 1 lg pair drawstring cotton pants ( very handy for toilet assistance; you can tie the drawstring to the walker, so you don't have to try and bend to pick up your pants.  It won't work, trust me.)
  • face cleaning wipes
  • travel Kleenex
  • phone + charger
  • 1 magazine
  • 1 book
  • favorite zip up sweater
  • journal + pen
  • camera
  • laptop + charger
  • small towel
Inside the bag I have a small bag of things I would like right next to the bed, for easy access at any time, day or night.
  • eye mask
  • earplugs
  • mouthwash
  • eye drops
  • hand sanitizer
  • Kleenex
  • face moisturizer
  • headband and hairties
  • Lavender Oil ( because its comforting)
  • dry shampoo
  • mini hairbrush w/ mirror
  • face spritzer ( sitting in the air conditioning for 5 days can be drying, so it is nice to have a fresh spritz to perk you up when you need it [my favorite it LUSH's Breath of Fresh Air])
At some point, you may be hosed off in the shower or wash up in a tub at the bed, so come prepared with a shower bag to include:
  • travel sized shampoo/ conditioner
  • face wash
  • body wash
  • toothpaste + toothbrush
  • deodorant (if you care)
It's important to keep it simple and not bring too much "entertainment."  You won't care.  Turn the TV on and pass out.  It is OK!

Also, you may just want to stay in the hospital gown; dealing with clothes for the first few days is cumbersome, and unnecessary. You will have a catheter in, and you will probably start menstruating. The hospital has pads and special disposable panties for that mess.  Just leave your own at home, and go with the flow. ;)

I also highly recommend shirts with built-in bras, like a shelf bra tank top, instead of bringing a bra and t-shirt.  Less is more in this case, and you want to have ease of upper body movement, comfort and support.

OK, here we go.  I have successfully distracted myself all day! I'm so ready.  I'm barely even nervous.  At my pre-op today, Dr. Santore was shocked at how slow my heart was beating.  I'm mellow yellow.  Let's just get this over with!

3 comments:

  1. Sending you healthy vibes via Blog! I'm thinking about you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alycia!

    It's Toni...sending you wishes that everything goes well today!

    Your list is great...it cracked me up and brought back memories. I had both hips done at the same time, and when I was in the hospital my sister sent me two pairs of HUGE elastic waistband shorts. I was horrified! Then I LIVED in them. It was the only thing I could wear that didn't hurt and rub on my staples!

    In the future I will prepare with better, but like you say about "buyer's remorse"...I just had NO idea what I was in for!

    Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm packing for my RPAO tomorrow and your list is a terrific reference. Thanks for all your blogging!

    ReplyDelete