Thursday, July 30, 2009

Tools


One of the most crucial tools for hip surgery recovery, is a raised toilet.  After surgery, it is very hard to bend at the waist, and to squat or sit.  Also, it is a good idea to have handles and something sturdy to rely on when using the bathroom.  This model is adjustable, fits over any standard sized toilet, and can also double as a bedside commode, which may be necessary in the first week.
This amazing contraption is a simple basket with rope.  It is so useful to move things around in.  It is especially handy for moving food items from the kitchen to where you will eat them.  Since you will be on crutches for 8 weeks, both hands will be occupied.  With this little helper, you can slip the rope around your wrist and drag your stuff behind you from room to room.
This is a standard bed tray, with openings for books and magazines.  This is super useful for a variety of things, especially using the computer.  Your lap will be sensitive, so you probably won't be resting things directly on you.  You will also be spending a lot of time in bed, so it is just a nice helpful tool for bed activities.
These are standard crutches, that will be your 5th and 6th limbs for the next few months.  You will go no where without them!  You may use a walker for the first week or two, and a wheelchair for longer excursions, but the crutches are the main walking accessory.  I put on sheepskin covers for the hands and under the arms, as these areas can become calloused and chafed due to overuse.  Some people use padded gloves with their crutches, which is another comfort option.
This is an apron that I decorated after my first surgery.  It is extremely helpful for carrying my personal items with me around the house.  I carry my cell phone, chapstick, and meds in the pouches regularly, and then still have space for any other item that I may have to bring along.



There are some additional tools in the next posting as well.  Usually, in the hospital, someone will come by before you are discharged and talk about tools that you may need.  They have this package that includes a 
  • grabber
  • long handled shower sponge
  • elastic shoelaces
  • a long shoe horn ( for putting on sneakers etc.)
  • a sock contraption

I did not include the socks and shoes contraptions because I don't really have to use them and lost them during my last procedure.  I live in Southern California; it is really warm, and I don't really need to wear complicated footwear.  I'm more of a sturdy slip on sandal kind of girl.  I can imagine if you live in a cold place that the sock contraption would be of great use to you!  If you can get away with not wearing much on your feet most of the time, you will be very happy.  Much less to trip on!

No comments:

Post a Comment